Client FAQs

High Court Writ Recovery hopes the following information can help you decide the best route to enforcing your Court Judgment. We appreciate your need for High Court enforcement action – whether it is to quickly recover the money that you are owed or the property, land or asset that you need to secure. Our team at High Court Writ Recovery can help and has answered some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) below.

What is a High Court Enforcement Officer?

A High Court Enforcement Officer (HCEO) is authorised to enforce a High Court Writ in England and Wales. The HCEO is appointed by the Ministry of Justice. This authorises the HCEO to recover money and/or property on behalf of the Claimant. They are duty bound to do so by the High Court Writ.

High Court Enforcement Officers were formerly known as Sheriff Officers. Under recent legislation, HCEOs or their appointed Enforcement Agents must now be trained and certificated to personally enforce High Court writs.

What powers does a High Court Enforcement Officer have?

High Court Enforcement Officers (HCEOs) enforce High Court Writs and therefore have greater powers than other court officials. These include Writ of Control, Writ of Possession, Writ of Possession & Control, Writ of Restitution and Writ of Delivery. Unlike some other court officers, HCEOs are paid on successful action. Claimants experience shows that HCEOs tend to achieve faster resolution and often higher ratio of payment in full.

A High Court Enforcement Officer will enforce a CCJ converted to the relevant Writ, that has been transferred up to the High Court. The HCEO will recover money owed to the claimant or an employee in Employment Tribunal Award/ACAS Settlement cases. With the appropriate Writ, the HCEO is also authorised to secure property and land on behalf of the landlord.

Why Transfer Up CCJs to High Court Enforcement?

Transferring up a CCJ to the High Court increases your chances of collecting the money you are owed. Using High Court Enforcement means you are likely to get back the money you are owed plus the court fee from the defendant.

High Court Enforcement Officers have greater powers than County Court Bailiffs, are paid on results and achieve higher success rates. Transferring up a CCJ to High Court Enforcement does not guarantee that you will get your money back. But you have the best chance of doing so.

We offer a Free* Transfer Up CCJ service.
*Court & compliance fees are payable by debtor

What is the cost to Transfer Up a CCJ to High Court for enforcement?

When you transfer a CCJ up to the High Court to obtain the Writ of Control there are three key costs to consider:

1) Court Fee – a Court Fee of £78 is payable initially by you as the Claimant. We will add this to the total owed. You will receive this fee back if the enforcement is successful.

2) Transfer Up Admin – No fee – High Court Writ Recovery will manage the transfer up of the CCJ to the High Court on your behalf. There is no charge for this service.

3) Compliance Fee – If enforcement is not successful, because there are no assets, or the defendant is insolvent or cannot be located – then all you pay is a compliance fee of £75 plus VAT.

What is a High Court Writ of Control?

The most common type of High Court Writ to recover money in England and Wales, is the Writ of Control. It is a formal written court order issued on behalf of creditors, to recover debts owed to them. This authorises the High Court Enforcement Officer (HCEO) to recover money owed by the debtor on behalf of the Claimant. HCEOs are duty bound by the High Court to enforce the Writ of Control.

An Enforcement Notice is sent to the debtor. The debtor has 7 clear days to comply – to pay in full or agree a payment plan.

If payment is not made, then the Writ permits the HCEO to visit the debtor and take control of goods (seizure) to the value of the debt owed. On the rare occasion, where there is no successful outcome, the goods will be removed and sold at public auction.

How do I Instruct a High Court Enforcement Officer (HCEO)?

Instructing a High Court Enforcement Officer (HCEO) is easy, just contact a High Court enforcement company directly. A senior member of the team will be a High Court Enforcement Officer, authorised to act on your behalf.

To transfer up your CCJ to the High Court the enforcement company will undertake all the administration for you. With High Court Writ Recovery this part is free.

A High Court enforcement company can enforce High Court Writs. These include:
• Recovering money owed to a claimant who already has High Court Writ or a County Court Judgment (CCJ) – total value £600 and above.
• Enforcing a successful Employment Tribunal Award or ACAS Settlement to a former employee.
• Taking recovery possession of a property or land on behalf of a landlord who has a court Judgment or order.

You can instruct us:
Using our Online Forms or
by Email: or
by Post. Please post the original form (retain a copy for your own records) together with any copies to High Court Writ Recovery, PO Box 816, Waltham Abbey, EN8 1RG